Monday 30 May 2011

Eating tasty, healthy food for less and race recovery

I have always been a conscious food eater. I never diet but I do occasionally attempt to change my eating habits. There is zero point in "dieting" if you are not going to stick to it long term. Yo-yo dieting will have a very detrimental effect on your body long term and the more and more you do, the less your body will respond thus leaving you attempting to diet but shifting no weight. Subtle changes to your diet that are easy to stick to long-term will have a positive effect on physical and mental well being, for example, eating more protein at breakfast can stop mid morning hunger strikes, or replacing iceberg lettuce for a darker leaf as it will add more vitamin and minerals to your daily consumption. But if I could choose one factor to look at then my advice would to be eat seasonal.
Seasonal foods will always taste better, be fresher and perhaps more importantly (for me anyway) be cheaper. 2 less obvious benefits but important nonetheless are: 1. Less transportation costs also means a lower carbon footprint for the food you are buying and 2. It supports the local economy which again is real important giving the economy climate.
So whats seasonal right now other than the obvious strawberries? Here is a list to get you started:
PEAKING:
Jersey Royal New Potatoes
Broccoli
Carrots
Asparagus
Rocket
Spinach
ALSO IN SEASON
Peas
Cucumber
Tomatoes
Broad Beans
Mushrooms
Basil
Beef
Chicken
Rabbit
Mint
Raspberries
Cod
Salmon
AND MUCH MUCH MORE. Check out www.eattheseasons.co.uk


On a 24 hour race recovery front. Things feel good and healthy, light runs to warm the muscles with lots of stretching and self active release technique for the sore bits. 12 hard training weeks before the Ridgeway 85! On it like sonic.
Peace


Footnote: As requested by a disillusioned friend I am legally required to state that I eat a ton of biscuits. I think I was even eating a Malted Milk as I wrote this post. There you go Mr.Paul O'Malley

No comments:

Post a Comment